Last night Nathan and I had Date Night 2011, brought to you by Ben and Blaire, who generously left some date night money under my pillow when they left. Yes, that's Date Night 2011. We hadn't had a proper date since November 2010 when we spent my whole day's pay at the Spice Lounge on some overpriced Indian food. Actually, I'm not sure that last night qualified as date night either, but we started out with good intentions.
We planned on going to see our friend Sarah sing Handel's Messiah (Nathan may be a wee bit obsessed with it) in Gateshead, but we got our times mixed up and missed it. Then we decided to get some Indian food.
After we got down the driveway, I said to Nathan, "So, when are you going to give me another driving lesson?"
Screeeeech!
"Right now."
"Uh, okay." Deep breaths. We all know what happened the first time I got behind the wheel, which also happens to be what happened the second time behind the wheel. We changed sides, and I immediately went to grab my seatbelt over my left shoulder. It wasn't there. It was over my right shoulder. Off to a flying start...
Driving a manual doesn't bother me. Driving a quirky older car doesn't bother me. Driving what seems to be right into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road bothers me. Luckily, it was after business hours on a bank holiday (Easter Monday) and hardly anyone was out, but there was still plenty of daylight left. Perfect!
Nathan was so patient and didn't try to give me tons of advice like the last couple of nightmares experiences. He just answered my questions, like "What lane should I be in?" and "Which stoplight is mine?" and "Should I turn here?" I caught myself holding my breath several times, but I was able to make it to Gilesgate (only 2 miles away) through several of Durham's most wicked roundabouts without hyperventilating and crying hysterically. Success!
I jumped out of the car and said, "I did it! Take my picture!"
It turns out that Gilesgate Tandoori was takeout only. There were no seats inside, except for two couches where you sit and wait for your order. I wish I had gotten pictures, but there were other people there and I was embarrassed.
So, we got our food, and then I drove home without incident. We enjoyed every little morsel in front of the computer watching Top Gear reruns on iPlayer. Good times.
Today, in an uncharacteristic act of bravery, I decided to go up to the big Tesco in Gilesgate to do some grocery shopping. Since I had driven the exact route last night, I thought there wouldn't be a better time. And guess what? I went to the big Tesco and wandered around the aisles and took my time. I did it all by myself! This is huge on two levels: 1) I haven't been there alone before, and Nathan and I drive each other crazy in the grocery store, and 2) I haven't driven alone in England before, and I DID IT!
Yay, me!

5 comments:
I am happy for you you look great We are enjoying you neices at church and your parents too Are you leaving in England very long Love chris
Back to your old self, eh? Loved reading this! Thanks!
Way to go babe!!! that's my girl. We Sampleys will do just about anything to do a "Big Shop"
Mumers
I'm so proud of you! :) :) :)
Nicely done, Nicole! Congratulations on the big accomplishment! :)
Love you, Rob
Post a Comment