Identity Theft
It's with mixed emotions that I'm referring you to a guest post I wrote for the recently launched blog, The Graduate Wife. I must warn you, what I wrote is in a very different tone than posts on this blog, which tend to be of the more lighthearted nature. While it's heavier than what I'm used to sharing, I hope it's an encouragement to you.
www.thegraduatewife.wordpress.com
Enjoy!
Oh, and here's a wedding countdown poster for you...
10 comments:
And, what a beautiful post it was. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! x
love you, friend. hugs. thanks for sharing. there are two admissions positions open at taylor--just sayin'. it would be a long commute but we would sure love you to be here. :)
Yes, beautiful post. Maybe you should think about writing a book. Seriously!
That was a great post, thanks so much for sharing. It's so hard when we find our identity in something (my new fridge:)) and it gets taken from us. Very hard lessons to learn. And it seems that you are getting to learn a whole bunch of lessons at once.
Don't forget your are ministering to Nathan too. He will always appreciate your willingness to sacrafice everything you know to do this with him. As a stay at home wife, I try to remember that my job is to minister to Matt so he can minister to others. Sounds like you are a stay a home wife and in that same season too. I will be praying for you!
Nicole,
Since you have deviated from your normal light and cheery I'm going to deviate from my normal non-serious and get serious here. First, I can appreciate what you're going through. You are doing very well, from what I can see. Second, you have a wise friend who advised you. It was/is great advice and I wish I could have taken that advice many years ago. The other thing I want to say is make the most of what you are living through now. Remember that awesome guy Paul who we would all like to aspire to be like? He said he's learned to live with and without and be content. And he says in the same book over and over, be joyful always. My goal this year is to memorize Philippians (all 4 chapters), can I encourage you to do the same?
One other piece of Scripture I want to point out and it's from another favorite book, Isaiah. Chapter 55:8-10 specifically. What we value in life is not what God values. What we think we should be doing may not be what God wants us to do. What we think we should have, obviously is something God has purposely with-held from us. And we know He never with-holds anything we need for life and godliness. (Shoot! I'm going to be eating these words for breakfast soon.)
Persevere girl! Run the race God has laid out for you. Run with everything you've got. You've got your own fan section who are cheering you on and praying you on. And rejoice always. (There's my mid-morning snack.)
Wow. Reading your post made me feel so understood! Ha. Not that i can relate from the grad wife perspective, but when we were on the boat (me following my husband in his dream), i HATED life. I was miserable. Even though we were in beautiful places and having this "once in a lifetime opportunity," at times it really really really really really sucked. Everything was difficult - cooking, cleaning, sleeping, walking around, adjusting to life in such a small space, doing laundry... Our dinghy was even on the outs for a while and so it meant I couldn't even get off the boat when i wanted to. Everyone kept telling me to enjoy it and embrace the experience and i just wanted to say - HA! easy for you to say from the comfort and convenience of your couch in your non-rocking cozy apartment within 10 miles of target and a grocery store and a riteaid and a deli and a mcdonalds. EASY FOR YOU TO SAY. You get out here and live my life and YOU enjoy it! Of course, at times i did like it, but life was not a walk in the park.
But - all that to say that, so far, everything that I was worried about upon our return (finding a place to live, replenishing our savings, finding friends, making a home for ourselves) is slowly coming to pass (and it feels a little too slow for me, to be honest!) Granted, I've spent several months freaking out about it all, but I'm realizing that God is faithful to provide those things we need and ask for, just ***in his own timing*** (ugh). So, I'm not going to tell you to enjoy this time or whatever, but I can tell you that God hears your cries even though it might not feel like it, and hopefully you will be shown the reason for this identity crisis in time, even if it's only for something as simple as realizing that you are loved just for who you are! :)
Nicole, you are amazing. It takes real courage to be that honest and vulnerable. Thank you for sharing your struggles. I think the best thing people can do for each other is be completely honest about what they're going through. I guarantee many will read what you wrote and relate to your truth on many different levels. I love you, and I love reading your blog. And I agree with Hillary, you should definitely write a book!!!
I wonder what you would have thought if someone would have told you in high school that you would one day marry a high school dropout! From captain of the football team to what?!!
God takes us places we would never choose for ourselves, but there is where we find the richest parts of life on this earth. Sounds like you are on an awesome journey!
Love you friend!
Was really moved by what you wrote. If only more people could be that honest...
We're always thinking of you guys.
I agree--that'd be a great way to spend your time--write a book. Your heart is beautiful and God has gifted you with an amazing way of expressing that heart. Thanks for your honesty. It was really encouraging to me in my stage of life as well. I love you so much, friend.
Post a Comment