Somehow, in my excitement over the new blog design, I neglected to tell you the sad news about my Easter dress. I was ready for church before Nathan and was standing around in front of our bedroom window. The glorious sunshine was streaming in while he finished getting his tie situated.
"Do you like my new Easter dress?" I asked coyly. "Don't I look pretty?"
"Uh, I can see right through it."
I spun around to face the mirror in the sunlight, and I gasped! No lining + sunny Easter day = tragedy.
"And it's kinda short," he said.
Double tragedy.
I changed into another charity shop dress, one I bought when we first arrived, and it worked out fine. I was just sad I couldn't wear my recent find, especially since I was bragging about it to y'all.
Anyway, after church and our really nice lunch with friends, we picked up our friends Adam and Ashley and went to a bonfire...
Side note: I was just thinking, we have a lot of married couple friends who share the same first initial like us - Nathan and Nicole.
Adam and Ashley
Ben and Blaire
Justin and Julie
Luke and Laura
Pete and Paulette
Steve and Sarah
Am I forgetting anyone?
And yes, I thought of them in alphabetical order, because I'm neurotic like that.
Bonfire time!
It started out pretty pitifully (health and safety, you see), but it got better as the night went on and we ended up with a proper, wonderful, roaring bonfire.
Here are some awesome ladies!
Sam decided that the best way to get his fallen trees chopped up was to have a contest between all the men to see who could saw a piece of wood the fastest. The winner got a huge chocolate egg. I knew immediately that I was going home with that prize. Nathan is, of course, a former "tree guy."
Sam is on the left, using his phone as a timer, enveloped in smoke. Nathan, of course, is DOMINATING the competition with his lumberjack skillz. I was cheering him on in very un-English style, much like my own mother cheered for my father any time we had diving competitions in our swimming pool with company over.
I was on my hands and knees with my camera, screaming, "COME ON BABE! YOU CAN DO IT! WIN ME THAT EGG!!!"
Mission accomplished.
Swoon.
Then, the girls put some mysterious items in the ash heaps. They weren't s'mores (Alas, there are no graham crackers in England.). The were... bananas?
Yes, bananas.
Warmed bananas with chocolate on the inside. I'm told they sometimes have marshmallows planted in there as well.
Here's my food model, Ashley. She's usually posing with food on this blog, which is purely accidental.
Thanks, girl! The treats were really nice! I think they could have used a few marshmallows, but overall I was pleased.
I told Jen, "When I go back to America, I'm going to introduce these, and everyone will think I'm a cultured, culinary genius." Actually, I may have given away the whole recipe just now.
Not so genius.











3 comments:
Nathan showing off, of course!!!
Love the new blog design, nicole.
Sorry to inform you but last year when I chaperoned an overnight field trip with Claire and 79 of her classmates to the National Sand Dunes park in Southwestern CO, they dumped those foiled bananas with chocolate, CARAMEL, and marshmallows enclosed in them. Mmmm, delicious!
Side Note: For some reason someone didn't plan the parent sleeping arrangement very well. There was no room in the Mom's tent for me. There was room for me in the Dad's tent with a man I never met. So I ended up sleeping in my car, alone. There was a big joke going around about no room in the tent for me and I could have slept in the Dad's tent. Wasn't too bad. I was the only parent/teacher that slept in the midst of 80 6th graders... compliments to my deafness. My morning greeting was, "who needs coffee when you slept so well?" (End side note.)
Another thing they did for breakfast which I thought was really good was after having the kids eat half an orange out of its "shell", they poured prepared blueberry muffin mix into the shell and covered it with foil and "baked it" the same way as they did the bananas. You of course have to make sure the shell stays on the bottom when placing into the fire. I intend to try that one winter when we have a fire in the fire place. They only had enough for the kids so I didn't get to taste it but the kids all LOVED the Orange/Blueberry Muffin.
Oops... they dumped the foiled bananas into the fire pit...
Post a Comment