Lot's of ranting ahead. There have been several... um... incidents lately that have been too ridiculous not to write about. They're comical really. If you have the patience to read this, you deserve a gold star.
1) After not hearing for a good while from my endocrinologist about how to get supplies or a prescription for insulin, I called the diabetes center last week to ask. The person who answered the phone at the hospital transferred me to a nurse line, which was not being tended by a nurse, but rather a machine telling me that the nurse line was open only from 11-2 on Mondays and Thursdays (or something equally stupid). When I called back, the operator told me that I couldn't actually speak to someone in the diabetes center unless I was pregnant or an insulin pump user. Hm... (raising hand) I'm an insulin pump user.
The person who answered the phone in the diabetes center didn't know the procedure for ordering insulin pump supplies. He didn't put me on hold, but he DID put his hand over the phone to ask someone else in the office. No one else present knew either apparently, and I overheard someone say that the one person who might know was on holiday. He said he'd call me back later. I got a call back this week telling me that he still didn't know how to do it. I'm glad I rationed my supplies and still have about six months worth left. It just might take that long to get someone who knows what to do.
2) I went to the doctor (GP) on Thanksgiving morning to do some blood tests at the behest of my endocrinologist at the last appointment. The nurse was really kind, and after she took four very large vials of blood (gulp), I asked her how to get a prescription for insulin. She said to just ask the front desk on my way out. I asked on the way out. The front desk was not helpful.
"You'll have to see a doctor," she said.
"Yes ma'am. I've seen a doctor. In fact, I've seen a nurse, and then a doctor, and then a specialist, and then a nurse again, and they're all giving me the runaround. I know what I need, and the process shouldn't have to be this complicated."
"I can get you into the prescribing doctor right now. It's just upstairs."
Sigh. "Fine."
I went upstairs and waited again, and a very nice man in his thirties came out - again, with no white coat, which freaks me out a bit - and took me into his office. It turns out he really was a doctor.
"What can I help you with today?"
"I need a prescription for Novolog please. It's for my insulin pump."
"Have you had your new patient screening?"
"Yes. I've had my new patient screening. I've also seen a doctor here. I've been referred to the endocrinologist at the hospital. I've come back here for more blood tests, and I still don't have supplies or my insulin."
"Hm... I'm sorry. Do you have anything from your previous doctor about your prescription?"
I dug around in my bag and pulled out my letter. Unfortunately, it had everything on it except for the brand name and dosage of my insulin.
"Let's see if your brand of insulin is in the national health care list of approved medicines."
Clackity clackity clack on the computer.
"It doesn't seem to be in there. Let me check this book."
He pulled out what looked to be a dictionary.
"How do you spell it? I've never heard of it."
"N-O-V-O-L-O-G. It's either that or N-O-V-A-L-O-G."
"Hm... I still don't see it."
"You could Google it," I said with a just a touch of sarcasm.
"Oh, that's a good idea!" he said.
My eyes widened.
Clackity clackity clack.
"Okay. There it is... Novolog.... Yes... Well, I can't give you a prescription because I don't know how much you need. I don't even know who the prescribing doctor is today. Let's see who that is..."
Clackity clackity clack.
"Oh! It's me!"
My eyes widened even more. You've got to be joking... I thought. I ended up going home with less blood but a whole lot more anger. Before we left for Scotland, I called the front desk at the surgery with a message for Dr. Inept listing the dosage and to please write me a prescription. I doubt it happened, but I haven't had the strength to call and confirm my suspicions.
3) I wish I had my camera with me yesterday because there was/is no bread at Tesco. None. There is an entire half aisle dedicated to the stuff, but it was just empty shelves. They're also out of croissants (regular and chocolate filled), digestives, most fruits and vegetables, and anything else you might want to eat. I went yesterday to find the store half empty of food but completely chock full of people. The store is already lacking in terms of keeping things stocked, but the snow made our local Tesco look like a scene from Communist Romania. Lots of grumpy, cold people with no bread.
4) After work last night I had to stop by Boots (the pharmacy) to get some contact solution. I had about three drops left in my bottle at home, so I high tailed it out of work through the snow to get there before I froze to death. They close at 5:30. I got there at 5:31 and got the Heismann straight arm from the security guard on my way in. This morning I went into work late so I could stop by Boots, because after one pair of now-dried-out contacts and one morning of my glasses fogging up anytime I walked indoors, I was desperate for some danged solution. I dashed through the aisles when they opened at 9. Yeah... They were out. Completely out of the Boots generic brand. I could buy the name brand bottle for freakin' 22.39 pounds. That's like $30! No way! I bought the cheapest travel size I could find for 7 pounds (translation, $10) and will have to go back later. Grrr...
5) While I was out and already late for work, I stopped by HSBC to see if I could finally pick up my PIN for my debit card on the account we opened three months ago. Nathan and I have been in three different times specifically about picking up the PIN (not about other issues which I have neither the time nor patience to write about). I saw employees inside drinking tea. Unfortunately, they were unable to open because of a staffing shortage. The weather, you see... However, the nice woman inside took my cell phone number, which I shouted through the glass doors. She called me back to tell me that indeed the PIN was in, but she couldn't give it to me over the phone, nor could Nathan pick it up, even though it's a joint account. Security reasons, you see... I had to come pick it up myself. If I came that day, I needed to get there before 2:30, because they would most likely be closing early. The weather, you see... I told her that I worked until 5, so it would probably have to be over the weekend.
The university sent everyone home today at 12:30 because of the heavy snowfall. I hurried and gathered my things and headed for the bus, thinking that I could get to HSBC and get my PIN. I trudged through the snow after the bus dropped me off in town, and huffed and puffed up the hill to the bank. A sign on the door said, "Due to inclement weather, we will unfortunately be closing today at 1 p.m." I checked my watch. 1:03.
I know this is quite rude to say, but... BLOODY FREAKING TYPICAL!!!
We know that England is not like America. We were and are not expecting that. We actually had very low expectations for customer service, health care, etc. when we came, but COME ON! They've underdone our lowest of expectations. Even the English friends we know who we've told are past "Typical!" and on to "Quite ridiculous!"
Okay, I feel better. Don't you? Here are some weather pictures to make you cold.
I'll sign off with "God Bless America."








12 comments:
The snow pictures are beautiful...but OH.MY.GOSH! This post makes me want to go shopping for you right now and send you bread and contact solution! ha! That is crazy!! Hope it all gets straightened out soon...I HATE days when you toil and strive to get something accomplished and no matter what you do you can't seem to "check" the task off your list! Ah!
SO sad for you Josie girl :(. The good news is the crazy bandit we call mother will be there in just days. I'm sure things will start falling into place :)
Much love sissy...
You must post your address so that we can send Christmas cards and packages of contact solution, bread mix (if you are desperate...) and chocolate chips. I'm sorry for all the troubles - but the bright side - that's more snow than I've ever seen in my life! EBQ
Holy Freakin Snow Batman! That sucks! I will stop complaining about goof-ball issues here immediately. BTW .. The Miller boys would be very jealous of the snow and your Harry Potter visit!
xoxox
Misty
Hmmm. I swear I typically don't condone long distance relationships for married couples....but maybe you should just come back. I'm kidding. Kind of.
Just let those feelings out...just let them out... always let them out! There...feel better? I'm glad you appreciate home turf more. Can't wait to see you! I'll bring you some solution let me know what kind.
Dad
Wow Nicole, that is completely insane!
Nicole, how frustrating! I'm so glad you have Nathan to sob to about these things - that should help a little. And the scenery is so beautiful. That should calm your spirit, as long as you're inside drinking hot chocolate and not out in the wind walking home from work!
Nicole this made me both laugh and want to send aid immediately! It reminds me so much of my first months in Berlin. Some days I felt like I ran from one place to the next trying to accomplish something, and would come home no further ahead than when I left. Sigh. they had funny hours there, too, where you could sse the doctor...they call them "speaking hours." What is that? At any rate, I will be praying you get your PIN number soon along with some bread and proper contact solution! And I'll put those down as items to bring in March!
I'd like my gold star now. :) On a more serious note, all of this is so ridiculous! I'm sorry you have to struggle so much through all of these things--and with snow none the less! This CA girl could not hang there! I admire you, friend!
Gold stars for all! Thank you for your sympathy. We really do have enough to eat, can see properly, and are staying warm (mostly). I don't want to alarm anyone. :) Nathan also managed to get some solution for me at Boots yesterday. Yay!
Loved the pictures of snow and err, got my foot in my mouth. I think you do win the freezing weather award. Regarding the medical issues... it terrifies me but I'm thinking, this is good practice for you. When you come back, you'll be way ahead of the rest of us in dealing with this type of system. Aren't we kind of heading into that direction with the new King Obama... oops, President Obama HealthCare plan?
Hang in there girl! ;-)
K10Ham
Post a Comment