English experts, please do tell me what these local grocery store staples are. I'm confused. First off, Daddies (plural not possessive) Brown Sauce.
The word "pickle" is ON the jar, but there are no pickles IN the jar. The jar just has a black gel-like substance in it. Please explain.
Salad cream looks like gag cream. At first I thought it was mayonnaise, but then I saw lots of mayonnaise on some nearby shelves. It was near the salad dressings, but it looks way too thick and, well, mayonnaise-y to be salad dressing.
I was trying to take these pictures ever so sneakily, but I'm sure I got the English raised eyebrow of disapproval from a few onlookers.
Make sure you leave a comment to get yourself entered into the first ever contest for readers. You'll get a nice treat from England if you win...
Make sure you leave a comment to get yourself entered into the first ever contest for readers. You'll get a nice treat from England if you win...



7 comments:
Hi Sweethearts!
Well, I wish I could help but I think you are right to seek assistance from your British experts. (When I saw the picle jars I thought is said "Gross" not Crosse.) Much love to you both and thank you for sharing your journey....Nicole, I can't wait to hear about the job you are going to get!
love,
Aunt Deanie
Hey gorge! first off... salad cream is AMAZING! Mix it with canned tuna fish or put it in potato salad and it is wonderful! But I would recommend the Heinz version though not Tescos! Branston pickle on the other hand is icky... but that's just my opinion. It normally is put in a Ploughman's lunch which is french bread, cheese, and salad. Never been a big fan of it so can't really explain what it consists of! The brown sauce is used on savory foods or added to soups to add additional flavor in particular with bangers and mash! You should try them all just for the experience!
Wow! Lots to read..I'll have to come back later but I think I got through all the pictures. Favorites = the black goo food substance in a jar and Nathan's goofy way of folding his hands in almost every serious picture when he's wearing a suit! Let's skype soon!
Love,
Hannah
This is hilarious!
Ok, so here's my take on these 'condiments':
I find it amusing that any adjective for foodstuff would be purely based on its colour, but then I think of green beans and suddenly, brown sauce doesn't seem so ridiculous. It is brown. And it is a sauce. And Daddies is particularly good brown sauce. At least, it's used at my favourite chip shop and with delicious consequences. As for the grammatical error, leave it to you to notice that, Parker.
Think of the pickle stuff as relish, basically. Thicker and slightly goopier relish. It can be used on almost all the same foods (though admittedly, I've never had it on a hot dog...then again, a hot dog isn't even a hot dog over here, so whatever). And as Steven and Hannah commented, it is absolutely LUSH on a Ploughman's. Highly recommended.
SALAD. CREAM. Get intimately acquainted with that stuff. It is the closest you're gonna get to honey mustard, unless you make your own. If honey mustard is a perfect 10 on the delectable scale (which come on, it is), then salad cream is its highly ranked first cousin, coming in easily at over 9.2. Seriously. Salad cream on chips will often cure your homesick longing for honey mustard and fries. It is your new best friend.
hahahahahahhaaaaaaaa. salad cream. reminds of notting hill. "there's something wrong with this yogurt" "it's not yogurt, it's mayonaise" "oh right then"
oh I'm LOVING this living vicariously through you!
No offense to the UK folks, I do like you guys but your culinary abilities leaves something to be desired with exception to your crumpets and biscuits! I could eat those all day long. When I visited London (and everyone I know whose been there has also agreed with me) the food is bland. So I was amused by the comments posted. Nicole, tell me, have you found anything tasty there (other than the crumpets and biscuits)? I think a blog on the topic of prepared UK food is in order. Hugs, K10Ham
Post a Comment