Monday, November 15, 2010

Nathan's Latest Obsession

Everyone who knows my husband knows that he is king of extremes. He is not known as a man of moderation. He loves Puritan paperbacks and Family Guy, two polar opposites in terms of culture, but he has no idea who's popular on the radio right now.  (Cue the "Who's this Bianca person I keep hearing about?" story. It turns out he was referring to Beyonce.)

His latest kick has been all about golf. Let me just start off by saying he plays once a year with my dad at the beach at Christmas, and he loves it because they get to smoke cigars and be outside in shorts in December. However, this latest obsession started shortly after one of our charity shopping sprees. He purchased a Jack Nicklaus "Golf My Way" VHS tape and has played it (I am not lying or even exaggerating) probably 20 times already. We have all of the cheesy music memorized, and it's now part of Nathan's and my whistling repertoire

Here's Nathan during viewing number 19 yesterday. Viewing 20 was when I caught him watching the video and doing push-ups simultaneously before his shower this morning.

The video itself reminds me of being at my godparents', Uncle Neal and Aunt Lena's, house when I was young. Uncle Neal used to hit golf balls with his sons into piles of tumbleweeds in the fields behind their house. Jack Nicklaus is dressed just the way I remember my Uncle Neal always being dressed - in golf gear from the 80s. They always had golf on TV on Sundays, and I usually fell asleep watching it. 


 Is it Uncle Neal? No... it's just Jack Nicklaus.


Last week Nathan put his feelers out on Gumtree again and found this really nice set of golf clubs for 50 pounds. It's, like, really nice. I'm not even a golfer and I can tell it's worth way more than 50 pounds.  He's taken to swinging the clubs now with Jack while watching the video. I'm already counting on losing our deposit when one swing goes wrong and a golf club goes through a glass panel on one of the doors. Forgive the blurriness of the image. "Someone" took some time off of watching Jack hit the long ball to pinch me in the bum while I was taking the picture.

Seeing as how it's November and we still hadn't gotten Nathan a scarf or gloves, we spent Saturday trolling the charity shops again. We didn't find any scarves or gloves there, but he did find this jacket, which he snapped up because he said, and I quote, "It looks like a golf jacket." 


And what else did he find in the book section? Why, it's Golf My Way with Jack Nicklaus, this time in print! Never mind that he has the entire video memorized, he just had to buy the book as well. 


It's a good thing that we decided early in our marriage to each have a discretionary fund each month so we couldn't nit-pick each other's every purchase. I don't get upset when he buys beer or Jack Nicklaus golf books or coffee, and he doesn't get upset when I buy bags or shoes or the darling jacket I'm going to show you tomorrow.


Nighty night pets!

1 comment:

CC said...

This was funny.....I am going to share this post with Scott when he gets home from work. He will love it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...