Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another Contest

Well, the commenting out there has been a little slow lately (only three comments about my fabulous Jackie O. jacket?!), and in order to boost my self-esteem yet again, I need to bribe my faithful non-commenting readers as well as continuous blogstalkers (South Carolina? Chicago? Maryland? AUSTRALIA?!) with a prize .

This time the mystery prize will be from Scotland!

Cue Braveheart music.


Nathan and I are going to Edinburgh for Thanksgiving next Thursday through Sunday, and we are so excited. Neither of us have ever been to Scotland, and we get to take a gorgeous two hour train journey to get there. We'd been invited to join Dr. Kelly and his wife, Caroline, for the holiday in February when he came to preach during missions emphasis week at Christ Church in Atlanta. Dr. Kelly is on writing leave from RTS Charlotte and is in Scotland for the year working on... something theologically important. I can't remember what the book is about right now, but Nathan would know.

Anyway, when the Kellys extended the invitation, we didn't even know we were moving to Durham for sure, but after we moved here, we tenuously checked to see if we could still come, and they were still ever so graciously open to the idea. Huzzah!


So, in order to qualify for a little prize from Scotland, all you have to do is leave a comment on any post I write between now and Thanksgiving morning before we leave. I'll choose a winner and then do a little shoppy-shoppy for him/her in Edinburgh.
Freeeedooooom!

13 comments:

alicia13579 said...

i will exercise my FREEEEEDOOOOOOOOOM of speech as i comment on your blog. ONWARD WITH YOUR LITERARY WITTICISMS!

Matt and Abby said...

So this blog counts as one I can comment on, right? I love the way you are bribing your readers to comment. I need a way to do that too. I am a certified blog stalker, and I know there are some that stalk mine and I would love to know who they are! But I can't think of anything that competes with a surprise gift from Scottland.
PS. Love the jacket. I think sequined pants would be just the thing to match them.

Anonymous said...

1) I take offense... while I don't (and can't) comment on every blog I do keep up with the Parkers and I do comment almost every time I read your blogs (yes, all of them) yet did I not see a CO in the last sentence of the first paragraph?

2) I do think your blogstalkers (mentioned in that same sentence) deserve a little extra so perhaps you should put their name in twice for the drawing.

3) I'm sure your momma will appreciate the boots... all that cow manure in Bakersfield can be an annoyance.

4) Love the British idioms!

and finally:
5) Did you figure out the DUH in ASL?

Oh wait... I went into a British store here and I did see the digestables but not that slimy green stuff. The digestables were SEVEN BUCKS and I think maybe 20 cookies at the most. No thank you.
K10Ham

Bobbi Jo said...

I give away prizes on my blog/photo facebook for the same reason, to get comments, feel like i am in conversation with people :)
love your blog and miss you guys

Epsie said...

Shout-out from South Carolina! Love hearing about your life in England. It reminds me of the glorious six months that I spent in London after college. And yes, I hated when it would get dark at 4in the winter.

ccdean said...

Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving you and Nathan will have. Carl will be a tad jealous as you will be in the land of "Braveheart." Have a great Holdiay.

Nathan and Nicole said...

Alicia - no one is as gifted with literary witticisms as you.

Abby - I actually think you're right about the sequined pants and jacket, although it would only look good on the runway on someone a foot taller than me. Thanks for sending so many readers my way.

K10Ham, I only call out locations where I have no idea who the people actually are. I figured out that you're in Colorado. :) And I thank you for your frequent and detailed comments. They make me feel loved and listened to. Lastly, I think I figured out "duh" in ASL. I'll try it on the video next time I announce a winner and you can tell me if I did it right.

Bobbi Jo - Happy belated birthday, and I pray your photography business is fruitful. I need to put a link to your site on my sidebar.

Epsie - I hope you're doing so, so well. I still remember looking at your wedding pictures and seeing what a glowing bride you were. Thanks for solving the SC mystery.

Christy - Please give each of those triplets a kiss from me and tell them "Happy birthday!" from June's auntie.

Kathryn said...

I confess. I'm one if your stalkers :-). And since I'm part Scottish - well I can't resist commenting! I love the way you write about Nathan - your stories about him always make me laugh :-)

Lindsey Woodland said...

As a faithful blog stalker, I'm glad you make us comment from time to time. Hope you have a wonderful time Scotland! Scotland is hands down one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Jordan said...

Blondie! To be honest, I didn't read the entire post...but if there's potential for a prize, I'm in.

Anyway, send me an email: jordan.d.lewis@gmail.com

Sorry that I never called you back before you left. I meant to everyday and then all of a sudden you were gone. I was sad.

I hope you and Nathan are well.

Pearl Jam Rocks!!

ebqualls said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

aerickson said...

I would comment anyway, but since there's a prize involved, I'm all over it. :) I'm so excited (and jealous) that you get to go to Scotland! I can't wait for the stories (and your writing voice to be slightly influenced). Eeek! I miss you like crazy, friend. LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nicole and Nathan....please don't add me to the contest. I'm so grateful that you have this blog...I love it! I enjoy checking in on you two. Have a wonderful trip...take lots of pictures.
love,
Aunt Deanie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...