Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Missed Milestone

Two days ago marked two years with the insulin pump. Remember when I first got it? Crazy. To "celebrate," I went to the endocrinologist yesterday thinking I was going to get a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), but of course, the NHS had other plans. Quick tutorial in the form of an analogy:


finger pricker blood tester thingy : CGM :: snapshot : movie


On my way up to the hospital, I was both happy and nervous to get the CGM, even if only on loan for just two weeks. There was the new technology to learn, the fact that there would be yet another machine to be attached to, and probably obsessive looking at the line graph on the pump as my CGM told it how my sugar was doing every five minutes. But I was still excited. It was more information, which was what I wanted after a few weeks of unexplained highs and more than a few unwanted lows, especially after exercise. 


Side note: For the past week or so, I've been running consistently and following my training schedule for a 10K on September 11th. This is an act of God. It will be an absolute miracle if I can keep it up until then. Having an exercise buddy has helped immensely, as well as going bananas with a fitness inspiration board on PinterestEnd side note.


I arrived at the hospital - which, as I mentioned before, looks like a psych ward from a 60s horror film - and after chatting with the doctor, a nurse, and a dietitian for about 15 minutes (three on one!), I finally asked, "So, am I going to get a CGM today?" No. I was on a waiting list. How long was the waiting list? No one really knew. It was based on priority. People with priority had poor hypoglycemic awareness. Just down from there were people who had really poor control. I didn't (thankfully) have either of those. I don't think I'll ever get one while we live here, to be honest. But if not getting one means that I have good numbers and hypoglycemic awareness, I'm okay with that. I'm just a little bummed.


At least I got a picture of the filing cabinets with post-it notes on them. It's less funny now than it was yesterday, for some reason.





In other missed milestone news, I've quietly moved past 500 posts. There are a few unpublished ones jumbled up in there, and the grand total is 504, so I'm guessing that this is about 500. Yay! Let's make this official and have a contest! I don't know what the prize will be yet, but if you leave a comment on any post between now and August 1st, I'll get you something nice, or at least blow you a kiss from England. Especially if you've never posted a comment before.

Katy, Texas?
Wilmington, North Carolina?
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan?
Baltimore, Maryland?
Oxnard, California?
Whittier, California?
Argentina?
New Zealand?

I see you.

Who are you?

Thanks for reading so faithfully.

7 comments:

Jana said...

Here is a comment...and I know I probably can't win anything since I've been a contest winner before on your blog, but I thought I'd comment anyway. Love reading your blog, Nicole. You are an entertaining writer. :) Happy Thursday!

Jamie said...

Look at you trying for a CGM!!! If you do end up getting one you will be training me :) That is one thing I have not jumped at yet. But I am still pumping along even though I was "only going to do it for the baby." And now she is almost a year old. Enjoying reading your blog, have a great weekend!

Kristen Hamilton said...

If I claim the 5th, is that still a comment?

aerickson said...

As I was reading this I thought to myself, "Wow, August 1? Nicole's giving people a long time to comment!" Then I realized that it was already the 28th....and I freaked out a little inside. Where has the time gone? Already back in my classroom today--goodbye summer... :(

aerickson said...

Oh, by the way....the link on the left of your page to my blog does not work. It has two http thingy-ma-bobbers. Fix it!! :) Thanks. :)

Nathan and Nicole said...

Amy... FIXED!

aerickson said...

Thanks :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...