Wednesday, June 15, 2011

When I Grow Up, I Want to be Like Nicole…

These words have rung true in my life since I met Nicole almost eight years ago. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Amy Erickson and I am guest-posting on the blog for the day. I teach Junior High English, I’m 25, and I like long walks at night during the summers in Bakersfield (Sorry, had to throw that in there). I grew up in Bakersfield, CA, and I attended LBC with the Sampley family; however, I did not meet Nicole until my senior year of high school. I’ll never forget the day our high school youth pastor walked up to me and told me that I’d have a new Impact (small group Bible study) leader for my senior year. Honestly, I was quite bummed and skeptical at first. He told me that her name was Nicole Sampley—ok, I thought to myself—she’s a Sampley, so I guess she’ll be cool enough. He introduced me to her, and I’m pretty sure we were friends at first sight….



Since that day, Nicole has been my Impact leader, my substitute teacher, my mentor, my counselor, my shoulder to cry on, my inspiration, and my dear friend.

Because of that, I’d like to share with y’all (shout out to the Georgians) today some of the lessons that Nicole has taught me throughout the years (complete with examples!):

1.     The small things make a huge difference: When Nicole would sub for my classes in high school, she’d sometimes go off campus to buy me lunch (Baja Fresh—my favorite). I will never forget those simple times we spent together and how much they meant to me.  Nicole taught me to pay attention to details and do little things each day to make a difference in someone’s life.

2.    Good friends don’t always need words: Some of the best times I’ve spent with Nicole have been hanging out on her couch while she ironed loads and loads of clothes, or sitting at the table coloring in coloring books, or laying on her bed with my head on her stomach listening to her digest food (a bit strange, I know, but it gave us lots of giggles). Nicole taught me to appreciate every moment we had together.

3.    Laughter is some of life’s best medicine: Whether it’s quoting Brian Regan or YouTube videos or Nathan, we always have a good laugh—anyone that knows Nicole can attest to this. When I’m feeling down, I can look at a picture of Nicole and smile. When I’m sad, I can think of one of Nathan’s goofy (and amazing) faces and laugh. Laughter and joy soothe the soul, and Nathan and Nicole bring a ton of that into my life. Nicole taught me to laugh in the good times and bad—they will both pass. 

4.    Lots of other people (who aren’t as smart as me) have “done life” before me and made it just fine: Ok, this one probably needs the most explaining.  When I would feel stressed or anxious about something, Nicole would repeat these words to me (that her father often repeats to her). For example, when I was worried about going to college and living in the dorms and meeting new people and passing my classes, Nicole would say, “Amy, plenty of people who aren’t as smart as you have gone away to college and done just fine.” ::Deep breath and sigh of relief:: Ok, that makes sense; I really can do this. Mike and Nicole taught me that I can do whatever I set my mind to in Christ’s strength.

5.    Life is a GREAT ADVENTURE: Quick side note--For those of you who don’t know, Nicole is a HUGE Steven Curtis Chapman fan! In fact, she choreographed a music video to “The Great Adventure” for our Impact group to perform my senior year. I still remember some of the moves. J End side note. The chorus of the song is as follows:
Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
This is a life like no other - this is The Great Adventure
Life is an unpredictable adventure, but we must follow our leader and ride on.  I had the privilege of watching Nicole buy a house in Bakersfield, meet Nathan and get married, move to Atlanta, and eventually move to England (among many other things)—sounds like a great adventure to me. I am amazed at her willingness to embrace the great adventure and her positive attitude through every turn and curve and “roadblock” along the way. Nicole taught me to embrace the adventure and look at it with excited expectation, not anxiety.

6.    God is sovereign and His timing is perfect: This lesson is probably best illustrated by Nicole and Nathan’s meeting and marriage. I remember Nicole’s scores of suitors or lack there of at times (feast or famine, you know), and wondering when she’d find the one—not to mention, who that “one” would be. We’d talk and wonder and shed tears about it on occasion. And then came Nathan—not a moment too soon or a moment too late—and he was it. I could go on and on and on about how perfect he is for Nicole and how amazing their story is, but most of you know that (if not, Nicole can fill you in later).

One day in particular stands out in my memory. Before Nathan and Nicole got married, Nicole and I were in the LBC church parking lot for some reason, and we sat on the curb while she read me parts of a letter Nathan had written to her. I honestly don’t remember what it said, but I remember sitting there with tears streaming down my cheeks—tears of absolute joy for Nicole and tears of sadness (and longing) for myself. I’m not sure I even said anything, but Nicole turned to me, hugged me, and said that in time, I too would find someone like Nathan. This is when I truly began to understand God’s sovereignty in my life—how could you not while watching how intricately God wove these two amazing people together? I still think back to that day on the curb when I need a little reminder. I’m still waiting on God’s timing, but I’ll wait in confidence. J Nicole taught me to trust in God’s sovereignty and perfect timing, because if it were up to us, we’d screw it up.

I have such a love and admiration for Nathan and Nicole that I could truly post on and on and on, but I’ll spare you. In closing, I’d like to say that I have learned so many lessons from Nicole—I just chose to highlight six here—and I know I will continue to learn from her throughout the years. I admire her as a teacher, a Godly woman, a wife, a daughter, and a friend. Like I said in the title, when I grow up, I want to be just like Nicole. I did follow in her footsteps in becoming a Junior High English teacher (love it!)—now let’s see what other adventures I can muster up. Marriage? Moving across the country or the world? Only God knows what my next great adventure will be, and I only hope that I can embrace it with the grace, trust, and love that I’ve seen in my dear friend.



Thanks for reading. I'd love to read comments about the lessons that Nicole has taught you or the ways that she has inspired you through the years. 

Cheers!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Ok. I'm tearing up. When I said, "Say something nice about me," I didn't mean write a novel about the lessons I taught you in life. Good grief! You, Amy Erickson, are one special lady. I love you, and I'm so thankful for you. I can't wait to get some proper hugs from you in just a few short weeks!

aerickson said...

I was just sitting here trying to think of what to write, and that's what came to mind. :) I can't wait for those "proper" hugs! Hope you're having SO MUCH FUN! See you SOON!

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I don't even know you and I think you are PRECIOUS! I enjoyed hearing what you shared about our Nicole.

A. Deanie

Our Big Adventure!! said...

That is so sweet... I hope to one day make a friend that is that special. It is such a blessing to have a friend that loves you so much and is always there for you. Beautiful girls and beautiful friends, Love it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...