Friday, October 17, 2008

It's for Real Now

My appointment went so, so well. I was nervous while I was sitting in the waiting room with Nathan for over an hour, but as soon as I got into the examination room, I was filled with the peace of God. Thank you for your prayers!

The nurse practitioner, Pat, we met with was wonderful. She did some basic checks. My eyes, nose, ears, blood pressure, etc. are fine. She did the reflex hammer thing on my forearms, elbows, knees, and ankles, but nothing happened except on my ankles a little. I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but I'm going to find out. Next, they took my blood glucose meter and got all of these charts and graphs from it. It was really cool. She explained everything, and it was clear that I have type I diabetes. I felt very calm and was able to focus and listen while she was talking, which I feel is a direct result of your prayers. She even stopped and said, "You're taking this news very, very well."

We met with the very Southern bowtie-sporting, monogrammed crisp white shirt and linen pants-wearing endocrinologist, Dr. Welch, after that, who just introduced himself and said that he concurred with everything the nurse practitioner said. He signed off on the prescriptions and went on his way.

After that, we went downstairs to get trained for the shots. A really great nurse, Jane, who we met last week at the diabetes class, showed us how to do the injections. She is so wonderfully funny! She's a very witty Irish Catholic lady from Boston, and she told me to be careful with the "wicked sharp" needles with her thick Massachussetts accent. :) I have to measure my blood sugar and take an injection before every meal and before bed. I was just smiley and fine the whole time! Praise God!

I picked up my friend, Allison, from the airport a few hours later, and we had fun chatting it up. Before we knew it, it was 10:30, and I was super tired. However, I had to give myself my first injection. Allison got the camera, and we decided to document everything. I, of course, forgot to bring the camera to school today, but I will post pictures and videos soon.

It took me over an hour to gear myself up for the shot. I paced, gave myself a pep talk, tried to distract myself, cried a little, etc. Finally, when Nathan came home from his brother's house at 11:30, I just had him inject the insulin in my hip. I held on to Allison while he stuck it in. He kept saying, "I haven't even done it yet!" but I knew he was lying because I felt the little prick. We all had a nice group hug afterwards, and I was exhausted!

This morning I woke up nervous knowing that I had to do the injections myself today. God is good, because my 6th grade advisee girls brought a yummy breakfast, and I was hungry, so I knew I had to just DO it and get something to eat. I checked my blood sugar, which was down to 136 (my lowest reading ever!), they prayed for me, I went into the bathroom shaking and did the injection in my stomach, and I came back and had a muffin. :)

And here we are... I just want to thank you again for your prayers. I am still getting used to this stuff, so please don't stop!

4 comments:

Bekah said...

HUGS to you! You are amazingly brave. I would have done a lot of crying. It has to be so weird to all of the sudden have this new routine of giving yourself shots multiple times a day. We are thinking about you all the time and praying for you....

Anonymous said...

Ahh Nicole. Thanks for keeping up all updated. I know I wouldn't have been as brave as you. I wrote your name up on my mirror to remind myself to pray for you all the time. :) Hang in there...you're amazing! Love you!!

-Amy E.

Jamie said...

Way to go Nicole! Finding a Dr. whom you feel comfortable with is huge. Sounds like a good practice. You are in my prayers!

ccdean said...

Nicole,
You are on BRAVE lady. You might get sick of hearing that, But I do think that you are AMAZING. We will continue to keep you in our prayers as you adjust to a new daily routine. Thanks for sharing on your blog. Your story is sure to touch many lives.
--The Deans

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...