Friday, July 27, 2012

Quite Like, Rather Dislike--Olympic Edition

While Nicole is traversing the land to the south, she will have a few guest bloggers. I have the privilege of being one of them. I have guest-posted once before--if you'd like to read my previous post, click here!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Amy Erickson, and I have been friends with Nicole for about eight years. She was actually my Bible study leader and substitute teacher during my senior year of high school. Thankfully, we remained good friends after that.

Alright, enough of this intro business--onto the post! If you've read Nicole's blog for any amount of time, you've seen her Quite Like, Rather Dislike posts. I'm such a big fan of them that I've started doing a few on my own blog. In honor of that and the upcoming amazingness of the Olympics, I bring to you:

Quite Like, Rather Dislike--Olympic Edition 
(Disclaimer--although I love and watch all of the Olympics, gymnastics is by far my favorite, so you'll see a bit  lot of that in this post). 

Quite Like:

The stories of sacrifice, extraordinarily hard work, and success--like this one about Gabrielle Douglas who is a favorite for a few medals during these games. These athletes sacrifice so much for a sport they love and the chance to represent our country every four years.



Medal ceremonies--especially when USA is standing at the top. I can't make it through an entire national anthem without crying.


Here is the Magnificent Seven--the girls who won Olympic gold in the 1996 Atlanta games. 


Rather Dislike:

Mistakes--they happen, it's inevitable, but in the Olympic games, a little mistake can (and probably will) stay with a person for the rest of his or her life. I can't imagine the pain of working so incredibly hard for your entire life, to have a trip, a fall, or a muscle twitch keep you from a long awaited dream. Not to mention the fact that the media will continue to play it OVER and OVER and OVER. Because of this, I will NOT post a picture or video for this "dislike," but I will say that I still cringe and get upset every time the video is played of one such mistake from the 2008 Beijing games. It breaks my heart for those athletes....

Different Time Zones--why can't every event happen live in MY time zone? Huh? :) 


It drives me slightly crazy knowing that events are happening when I can't watch them live. During the Olympics, I won't turn on my computer or go on the internet on my phone. I have to be on the edge of my seat screaming and yelling at the TV as the action happens. If I found out results before, it'd ruin the suspense, the intensity, the magic. And we just can't let that happen, now can we? 


I could go on and on about my beloved Olympics. I am so jealous that Nicole gets to tour the Olympic grounds on her vacation. I can't wait to put on my USA Olympic shirt tomorrow and curl up in front of the TV to watch the Opening Ceremonies. 

For those of you who love the Olympics as much as Nicole and me, tell us why in a comment below!

For those of you who don't, I'd love to hear why as well (since I can't quite seem to wrap my brain around the fact that someone may not love this incredible event as much as I do!). 

Thanks for reading and commenting! Enjoy the GAMES tomorrow!

2 comments:

Erin said...

The Olympics are such an amazing way of bringing the world together and making it feel like a smaller place. The Opening Ceremonies were incredible and I can only imagine what the atmosphere was like (and I am definitely jealous that Nicole gets to experience some of that!). I remember what it was like in Atlanta in 1996...one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had was being at the women's gymnastics team finals...albeit at one of the very top rows in the Dome!

Nicole said...

Thanks for this Olympics post, Amers! I definitely had a great time down there, but I'm bummed we won't get to see any events live. :( I'm also bummed that the BBC is so focused on British athletes (which makes total sense, really) when I really want to hear more about the USA. Keep me updated with more YouTube stories like the one you posted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...