Monday, April 9, 2012

History in the Floor

After our morning at Hadrian's Wall, we spent the afternoon doing a tour of Durham with Justin and Julie. We decided to start at my school and climb up to the top of chapel hill to see the gorgeous view of the cathedral. We weren't expecting to see this bench blown back from the strong winds the day before! 

It was like the Matrix bench...

What a view!


I like how we can see the shadow of the camera perfectly.


On our way out of school, I looked up into my classroom window to see the lights on. I went into the building to check it out, and I found a big mess. Apparently the building is falling apart (I could have told you that) with a leaky roof and holes in walls and floors because of old, dodgy craftsmanship. The maintenance guy up there was wiggling wires in the floor and making a doorbell ring. The carpets in my classroom were ripped up and the original floors were exposed. He found this board with names engraved on it. Click on the two pictures below to see lots of names and dates. 


Isn't that so cool?

Here's the other half of the board. There are so many names!


From the school we saw all the usual sites, including the cathedral.


And then off to Colpitts, Nathan's favorite pub...


Home for chicken tikka masala in the crock pot!

The next day we went to York, and saw the the QUEEN! Come back for lots more details and fun stories tomorrow!

2 comments:

aerickson said...

Those boards are awesome! I'm a big fan of all of these updates. Missss you!

Caroline Erickson said...

Oh my goodness! The names are so cool! We were cleaning out the back patio of our apartment recently and discovered someone's first and last name scribbled in the cement from 1942. I googled it and found an article he wrote to a newspaper! I felt like a detective. You should try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...