Friday, February 17, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake!

This week I've been on a fantabulous half-term break, and I've been loving every minute of it! In addition to going to a lot of the Exchanged talks (worth a thousand listens!), I've been baking cakes. I thought of myself as kind of a one trick pony when it came to desserts (can you say, I've probably eaten my weight in chocolate chip cookies since moving to England?), but these turned out pretty nicely.

First up, a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for Valentine's Day.

I didn't want to spend money on cocoa powder when the recipe called only for 1/2 a cup, so I used two packets of hot chocolate mix from my MIL. Totally something she would do!

Happy Valentine's Day Sam and Jen!

Next, a lemon poppyseed cake for my Focus group (university girls' Bible study) yesterday. This was my fave.

It was light and fluffy, probably due to the five egg whites it called for. I've never separated eggs whites before. I'm fancy.

Giant bright green Ikea knife? Check!

I found these two recipes on Pinterest. You can follow my food board here, or get the recipe for red velvet cake directly from here and lemon poppyseed cake here.

Happy half-term everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed! Your cakes look like pictures in a cookbook! Your Grandma Levelle would be so proud!....as well as your folks and me! I enjoyed re-reading last year's V.D. entry....you made me laugh again.:)
I had a problem with my computer for about two weeks so I have missed you. :)
Much love to both of you.
A.D.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...