When I went to bed Sunday night, my sugar was 118. Beautiful! However, after midnight, I woke up feeling poorly. I bumbled into the kitchen to check my sugar, and because of my racket, Nathan woke up too and made sure I made it in there okay. However, in his sleepiness, he just turned around and went back to bed before my results came back.
35, people, 35!!! A new low for me. Normal is between 70-110, and I feel pretty bad if it's anywhere close to 70.
I sat down on my little stool in the kitchen and had a toddler-sized 4 oz. box of grape juice. Then, feeling very hot, I looked at the tile floor and decided it would be a very nice and cool place to lie down on. A few minutes went by, and I noticed that I was sweating through my pajamas and it was starting to pool on the kitchen floor. I called for Nathan. He claims he didn't hear me, but the Lord woke him up as soon as I said Nathan's name, and he came running into the kitchen, yelling "Nicole!" I scared the you-know-what out of him, because I was face down on the floor. He scared the you-know-what out of me, because he never calls me Nicole.
I said, "I'm okay, I'm just hot." I was still shaky, so he put a new strip into the meter, pricked my finger, and checked my sugar again while I was still on the floor. 66. He took two girl scout thin mints out of the freezer and shoved them in my mouth. Tasty... Then he helped me back to bed. I was hot - but cold - and I fell asleep pretty quickly after that with a nice mint chocolatey taste in my mouth.
Yesterday morning my sugar was 167. I wonder how that happens. Sometimes diabetes just doesn't follow logical rules. Jamie, my fellow type I diabetic diagnosed at 27, what the heck?! Has this happened to you?
Nathan bought me a book from my Amazon wish list a few weeks back. It's called Diabetes Burnout, and it had this amazing quote that really articulates the frustration of the disease.
"And even the constant need for decisions might be tolerable, if only the results were predictable. Few things generate burnout like the awful frustration of having followed instructions and done everything just right and still be failing to get the diabetes into control. At those times it seems no use to continue to try. Think how discouraging it is to fail at something you really wanted to do. Then consider what it must feel like to have diabetes and be failing at something you never, ever, wanted to do in the first place."
7 comments:
Oh friend! Reading your post scared me enough-I can't imagine finding you like that in the kitchen. I can not relate at all to what you are going through so I pray that the Lord's peace and strength fill you today and each new day. Much love to you!
Oh Nicole, I hate this disease. Yes, I hit my new low a few months ago, 29. Right now, when I go low in the middle of the night I am experimenting with not eating a snack after. When I do eat something I sometimes get the "rebound high" after going low. If you want the snack try bolusing for it. I also keep juice boxes in my nightstand and my closet in the bedroom that way I don't have to think about getting to the fridge when I am low. Praying God's strength for you (and Nathan) friend!
My love! My heart just dropped when reading this. I love you! B
thinking of you friend. glad nathan found you and could help you to bed- even though it sounded very scary for him. love you!
Wow Nicole. I can't even imagine what that must have been like, but I praise God for his protection over you and the peace he has given you.
BTW, I was looking at your website and saw the link to your wedding photos and just browsed through them. WOW! They were gorgeous. You were (and still are) stunning and you both had such a wonderful glow!
praying for you. always. love you so much! :)
-amy e.
Nicole, my heart was so heavy after reading your post! I pray that the Lord will encourage you and strengthen you each and every day!! Love you, Robin
Post a Comment