Thursday, April 23, 2009

A New High

Oddly enough, yesterday I had my highest high since being on insulin, 349. I kind of cheated at the grocery store. You know how at the bakery there are sometimes cookies on the counter to sample? Well, I had one. I strolled around the store chomping away at a scrumptious sugar cookie, knowing full well that my sugar would "probably be a little high" before dinner, but that I would just balance it out with my dinnertime insulin.

When I got home around 5:00 p.m., I was really tired and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up to my phone ringing around 6:00, and it was Nathan, asking when and where we to meet for dinner before our church's prayer meeting. I just burst into tears.

"What's the matter?" he asked me.

"Um... I'm fine. I think my sugar might be just a little high."

"Okay. Well, go check it and take a shot if you need."

"Okay. I will," I sniffled. We hung up and I went into the kitchen to check. 349. 349!!! Tears! Tears! Tears, a shot, and a serious pep talk to myself. "Nicole, you CANNOT do this to yourself! You CANNOT cheat, not even a little bit. Not ever! This is serious business!"

I called Nathan and told him my result... and that I had just lost a foot due to my stupidity. He laughed his hearty laugh, and I managed a shaky chuckle myself.

Lesson learned.

P.S. I'm sorry to scare some of you with my last post. It wasn't intended to scare. I'm not sure why I write about this stuff. I guess my purpose in writing is to let my friends and family know what's going on and how to pray.

2 comments:

tim and kristi said...

praying. thanks for sharing your stories. it makes me miss you but in a really nice way. love you friend!

Anonymous said...

I saw Kelee at church today....we talked about how much we missed you..and how stinkin' sad I am that I can't see you next weekend! Waa! :(

Hope you had a GREAT weekend!

Love,
amy e.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...