Monday, April 15, 2013

Scotland with One Scot

Over our Easter holiday, Nathan and I went back to Scotland, to the Southwestern coast this time, with some great friends from church. We shared the most beautiful country house and had a great time just eating, playing, chatting, and generally having lots of fun.


Here's the whole clan. Hamish (seated next to Nathan) was the only Scot of the bunch. His wife Marije is Dutch, their two kids Xander and Rebecca were born in England, Brent is American, and Aline is German. 

One day the kids and ladies went to the beach and got some ice cream. It was definitely not bathing suit weather, but it was really warm. At least 55 degrees F!

I love this picture of Xander.

On our way to get ice cream!

While we were at the beach, the boys went and played golf.

Meanwhile, back at our cottage, there were loads of pheasants.

The living room was great for reading and lounging.

Becca was particularly fascinated with my big cup with the permanent straw. I have a feeling I will be leaving her a few when we go back to the States.

What a cutie!

There was a lot of horsing around in the kitchen. Good times.

On our way home, we stopped in Torthornwold, home of John G. Paton, the famous missionary to the New Hebrides in the South Pacific. If you're not familiar with him, listen to John Piper's biographical sketch. It is AH-MAZING. Go here to listen for free.


This is his church.

Nathan was so stoked.

This is the church graveyard. He wasn't buried here, but we looked.

The ladies

The gentlemen

Going home...

I'm a little less than enthused about going back to school this week, but the structure is good for me. It's been a lovely Easter! Did anyone do anything really cool over spring break?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Turns out he is buried in Australia. I thought that was where they were buried: "John G. survived his wife by nearly two years, dying at the age of 82 on 28 Jan 1907 at Cross St, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia. They are both buried at Boroondara at the intersection of High Street and Park Hill Road, Kew, Victoria, Australia."

Great trip!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...