Friday, March 1, 2013

The Golfers' Mecca

Anyone who knows anything about golf knows that St. Andrews is the motherland. Nathan was really excited to see The Old Course, the birthplace of the game. Todd took us there on Saturday afternoon, and we were able to watch a few people on the 18th hole.

These guys looked about 17, and one of them lit up just before he teed off, but golly, he drove the ball to about 4 feet from the hole. I guess there's magic in them cigarettes.

Nathan's shadow, the 18th fairway, the clubhouse (on the left), and a Macdonald hotel (on the right, the same kind of hotel we stayed in but in North Berwick)

Here's a close-up of the clubhouse.

Nathan talked a lot about that little stone bridge. He's seen a lot of videos of famous golfers walking over it.

Behind the golf course is that famous Chariots of Fire beach. And now the song is stuck in your head. Sorrynotsorry.




A new sand trap is in the works, I see.

On Sundays the course is closed to golfers and open to the public. People take walks, have picnics, etc. out there. Can you believe that? I think that's amazing.

Here's my love by the 18th hole.

Todd and Elizabeth's son, Evan, took this picture. Pretty good, eh?

We had such a great time with our gracious hosts. They fed us amazing food, tour-guided us, entertained us, and let us sleep in a really comfortable guest bed. Like, really comfortable.

Here are Jack and Evan being boys. Their mom told them to stop horsing around on each other's shoulders because it was dangerous, but after I snapped a quick picture she whispered, "Will you send me a copy?" I love that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
This is the second time I read your "Mecca" blog and enjoyed the scenenery and your fun. (I choked when I saw the sand trap under construction!) Thanks for sharing all your adventures....I sure love them! :) A.D. xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...