After our time in Dartmouth, Nathan and I drove to Wiltshire to visit Sam's parents and see some sights. They were such kind people, and it felt very much like we had gone home to visit our own parents. They lavished us with love and food and great conversation. They live quite close to Stonehenge, but we enjoyed Avebury much more. You'll see why in a minute.
This is Sam's mom, Rachael, who makes really good pesto chicken. I must get that recipe.
At Avebury, we walked right up to the stones and could touch them and explore all around them.
This one is called "The Devil's Chair" or something scary. You can't see the chair bit in this photo because we're covering it up with our bodies.
From a distance you can see pretty much the whole circle. There are actually a few circles. They are arranged concentrically and range from a few meters to two miles in diameter.
Under some ancient trees
They look like they should be featured in a movie, don't you think?
More stone circles
It rained a bit, but it seemed fitting. It was our first rain in over a week!
This English Heritage house was near there, but the entrance fee didn't seem worth it, especially since pictures of the newly restored insides were published in a nice book in the gift shop, which I flipped through for free. I love when I can stick it to the Englishman!
I can't remember the name of this, but it's an ancient burial site. Long Barrow, I think it's called.
And then there's Stonehenge. We just pulled over the car and took a few shots over the fence. Actually, Nathan did that. I stayed in the car and gleefully rubbed my hands together in excitement over how much money we were saving by not buying tickets to go inside and not get near any stone circles. Muahahaha...
See? You can't even get close!
More evidence that you don't need to pay to go inside the fence.
This is what the zoom on the camera is for. Booyeah! Money in the bank (to pay off our congestion charges and a parking ticket)!














2 comments:
you are more and more like your mother buahaha
love you....joseph
You could write a separate blog on saving money too. In fact you could share your knowledge with the associates.
From Loyal Blog Reader
Post a Comment