Wednesday, February 3, 2010

An Essay Excerpt

One of my students just turned in his essay on beauty. His nickname is "Big Country," and this is his last paragraph.

"The most beautiful creation of all is guns. Guns make me want to cry tears of joy. They are just that beautiful. I could spend two hours looking at a simple shotgun. One reason guns are so beautiful is they are not created by machines. Each is hand built and assembled. Another reason they are so beautiful is that they all have a different shot pattern. Just like we have finger prints, a gun has its shot patterns. A gun is something only a "different" person would think to be beautiful."

I said smiling, "And you're 'different,' aren't you?"

In his "Big Country" way, he said, "Yes ma'am, I am."

I just want to squeeze him, he's so cute.

1 comment:

Barbie said...

I teach 6th grade too, and I'm impressed with his writing skills...even if they are about his love affair with guns! :) Nottin' like a country boy! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...